Sunday, March 12, 2006

Why did I phoon the very first time?

As you read in the prior post, I had the word Phoon in my mind from high school summer camp. It was "reserved," in a way, for a body position.

The following summer (1980), I traveled with Mom, Dad and extended family. Occasionally, Mom, camera in hand, would call out for us to "wave at the camera!" My bad attitude was, "Is this to help others find us when we are showing the photos to others? Is this supposed to make us look friendly, or something?" I would have felt embarrassed to wave at the camera. So I chose instead to stand on one foot and spread out all my limbs, as illustrated in this summer photo . There, that's not as embarrassing! (Figure that out.) Have I changed my attitude about waving for a camera? Not really.

What I don't remember is when I first started calling that particular pose a Phoon. Initially, I was simply standing in a silly way for photos. But at some point, I decided to refer to this new pose as a Phoon and drop the connection to the other pose from summer camp. (Perhaps I should say "attempted to drop," since the old pose occasionally crept back into photos.)

1 Comments:

At 9:26 PM, March 12, 2006, Blogger Doris said...

Are you sure it wasn't just a bad attitude?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home